Followers

5/27/2015

Happy Little Stampers Sketch Challenge - May 2015

Good Morning friends, and welcome. So far it's been a rather overcast day, and we had a most intense rain & thunder storm last night. Thankfully, it didn't last long, but that rain was so hard when it came down & we had several hard cracks of thunder very close by. However, it was nothing like to what those poor folks out in Texas had and are having to endure. Prayers go out to those families who lost or are still searching for their loved ones.

Today's card is an entry into the Happy Little Stampers Sketch Challenge, one I've not participated in so far. Let's get right to it - and actually it's another UFO:


I'm not great with sketches, but here's my take:


 
- Background is a Brusho gone wrong. Still liked the colors but it didn't work for what was in mind when messing about with it at first. While doing a bit of cleaning on the stamp desk (remember when I was looking for missing stuff earlier? LOL) found a Zen sort of looking stamp...decided to stamp it with Versafine Onyx and just have a play with Pentel and the Staedtler pens.  Still didn't really have any ideas about what to do with it - but just doodling one night while watching Netflix.
 
Located a brass stencil in the floral shape that you see in the top right. (Jennifer McGuire has a recent video on using intricate dies to emboss which gave me the idea*). Embossed that onto the paper, liked it better. However, the embossing would not have shown up in the photo. So...took a sponger and some DI Faded Blue Jeans and wiped it over the embossing. Hooray...that showed very nicely.
 
- Bottom white part was embossed with an Anna Griffin EF that is still in the pile, then die cut the edge with a S/B Curved Bracket. Hmmm...if I put the 2 together, that might work for the HLS May Sketch Challenge.
 
- SU scallop punch for the snippet sentiment, a clear stamp from a Gina K set received last week. Lesson learned: stamp it, then punch it. Used the Misti to place the stamp, but it was tricky to keep this little bit of paper from moving when the Misti cover is opened for inking the stamp...even with the strong magnet holding it. Because the bit is so tiny, when placing the stamp in place for inking, then lifting to ink it - the tiny scrap would slip - just a tiny amount. Finally got it done though, and I think the sentiment looks straight!!!

Hoping that this card fits what the sketch is meant to be, I'm off to link up with HLS Sketch Challenge for May 2015, which is still open for 3 days. Thanks for visitin'...come again when you can.  Hugs

*Tried to find the link to Jennifer's video, but was spending too long searching for it. Believe it was done last week.

23 comments:

  1. OMGosh Mary, this card is absolutely gorgeous. Well done on the sketch but the definition in your card, the colours all of it is just awesome ! Love it.
    Hugs, Veerle x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, very pretty and a wonderful take on that sketch! Love the die you used on here Mary and the beautiful background with Brusho's.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sketches are my favorites, but I struggle with color and photo challenges. Sketches are to me such a great source of inspiration, and it's about making it your own, which I think you succeeded with here. It's beautiful and if I hadn't known it was your card and I'd have to guess, I would guess it was something made by you:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though the Brusho background might have gone wrong ( what's wrong?!!) it fits well within the design of your card....x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh, neat!! First of all, I love the sketch, what a fun one to attempt to follow. Some people follow sketches to the tee, I can be like that at times. But I really love it when people like you show creative flair and do their own thing. This is really creative and original and just pops off my screen, love it! btw, I'm moving back to SC soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another fab card Mary, it might have gone wrong but I think your background is teriffic and so colourful, I love the images too, hugs Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fabulous card Mary and great use of the sketch. Love your brusho background with the added stamp and embossing. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just love this card Mary, bright and beautiful.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love your 'brusho gone wrong', it looks amazing to me, I love the composition of your card and the contrast between the white embossed part and the beautiful colours. A really beautiful card! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is fabulous. Love those colours and you take on the sketch. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great save with your brushos background Mary. LOVE the colours, and your "Zen" style image. Very cool!! Thanks for playing along at Happy Little Stampers. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to go woth the up-cycling Mary - love your panel of experiments and the way you have put it to use.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool creation! Love the intricacy of the die and the coloring. Great take on the sketch too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this is so pretty. I never thought to use a brass stencil like this. I have a few stashed away somewhere. Going over it with ink really made it pop. The doodling came out great. Lots of detail on this card and it goes together so well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful card Momma Mary! I love your brusho gone wrong, no one would have known it if you hadn't told us. lol I love the flowery embossed emblem type thing and I love the embossed leafy flower. That bottom piece is just stunning with the embossing and lacy cut on top. You take on the sketch is fabulous, really loving the colors of this one! I saw that video you are talking about, it was a good one, but I've yet to try it out. Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great card Mary, just goes to show something good can come out of the bits we discard!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sketches are hard but I do like that they challenge me. You captured this one beautifully, lovely colors and like the intricacy of your die cut.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how you combine embossing with die cutting. Your Brusho background is fabulous. And that stamp is incredible. A very cool take on the sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how this worked out. Your take on the sketch is fantastic and those patterns and colours all look great!! Thanks so much for playing along at Happy Little Stampers and good luck with the DT call xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning card Mary. Love the colours and stamping with the super die-cutting. Great take on the sketch xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would never have known that this came from anything gone wrong, Mary! Love that "Zen" element colored and the sponged embossed flower is gorgeous as well as that beautifully die cut edge!

    ReplyDelete
  22. you may have thought it went wrong but I think the background is brilliant and love the embossing
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh! Mary very "arty" I love it and the colours and the die, VERY effective.

    ReplyDelete